The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) commissioned the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH together with DW Akademie to implement eighteen pilot projects in selected cooperation countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. The aim is to test innovative concepts and forms of cooperation, and in particular to achieve synergy effects in the cooperation between GIZ and DW Akademie.
The GIZ Sector Programme on Human Rights is responsible for implementing innovative measures for promoting the right to freedom of opinion and access to information. The GIZ Sector Programme on Good Governance carries out pilot projects at the interface between the state, media and civil society. The DW Akademie is Germany’s leading organisation for international media development.
All measures were designed in close cooperation with the relevant GIZ country offices, partner organisations and DW Akademie regional teams. They were implemented in the following areas of activity:
- Improvement of the legal and economic framework for promoting freedom of expression and political participation.
- Improvement in the access to information (in particular to information relevant to human rights).
- Improvement of the communication and dialogue related to anti-corruption and transparency of public finances.
- Improvement of the media skills of civil society actors and disadvantaged population groups.
- Creation of dialogue forums between the state, the media and civil society.
- Capacity development for media practitioners (particularly with human rights focus).
A sum of EUR 100,000 to 150,000 was provided for each project for a pilot phase lasting approx. one year. The first projects have been completed; successful approaches have been integrated into the core projects of GIZ and DW Akademie. Other pilot measures are still being implemented (see project overview on the project websites).
Tim Auracher, firstname.lastname@example.org
GIZ Sector Programme Good Governance
Peter Deselaers, email@example.com